Residents and interested and affected parties are encouraged to comment on proposed changes to the recreational use of the Sea Point Promenade by 10 April 2022.
The changes aim to make this public space safer and more enjoyable for everyone by reducing conflict between pedestrians and motorised and non-motorised transport such as bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, e-bikes and Segways.
A five-month long investigation into the use of the space found that around 90% of users are pedestrians and among them, a number of young children and the elderly, who are vulnerable, frail and at risk of serious injury.
The recommendations are that:
- Pedestrians should have exclusive use of the Sea Point Promenade from Mouille Point to the Sea Point Pavilion swimming pool; and
- Cyclists on pedal bicycles, skateboarders, and rollerbladers should share the sidewalk (pavement) on the sea-side of Beach Road; and
- No e-bikes, e-scooters, or motorised devices should be allowed on the Sea Point Promenade and the sidewalk (pavement) on the sea-side of Beach Road. For more information 1. Attend an open day:
- 15 and 17 March 2022 from 14:00 to 19:00 at the Sea Point Civic Centre on Main Road
- 26 March 2022 from10:00to14:00 on the grassed area along the Sea Point Promenade (closest corner to Rocklands Road)
2. Scan the QR code to submit your comments digitally or visit www.capetown.gov.za/haveyoursay
3. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Quote reference 7200334254 in the subject line.) Contact the Public Participation Unit for help submitting your comments: Andre A Louw on 021 400 9809 or email AndreA.Louw@capetown.gov.za LUNGELO MBANDAZAYO CITY MANAGER CTA20/2022